Reducing rather than stopping emissions is not an excuse to keep flying.
Ongoing emissions from…
• Private-jet emissions found to rise more than commercial planes
Net zero 2050 target
• Airlines are already falling behind in their drive to cut carbon emissions to net-zero by mid-century
• Wolfgang Knorr: What lies beneath – on the latest net zero scenario by the International Energy Agency
‘SUSTAINABLE’ AVIATION FUEL
The aviation industry uses marketing greenwash and accounting tricks to mislead you into thinking that actual flight emissions from ‘Sustainable’ Aviation Fuel (SAF) are a fraction of those from fossil jet fuel. A jet never burns pure SAF, so a common 50:50 blend with fossil jet fuel doubles claimed emissions. And actual flight CO2 emissions are additionally more than claimed, by the amount of CO2 drawn down in making the fuel. Furthermore SAF still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as actual flight CO2 emissions.
• A big climate problem with few easy solutions: Planes
• Lawmakers seek to subsidise sustainable aviation fuel production
• New legislation could give tax benefits to US airlines for using sustainable aviation fuel
• U.S. House panel discusses low-carbon fuel with airline, biofuel industries
• U.S. lawmakers to propose tax credit for sustainable aviation fuel
Burning hydrogen fuel still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as avoided flight CO2 emissions, and generating enough CO2 emissions-free hydrogen will use more than all the renewable electricity currently generated.
• Zero-emission, guilt-free flights from Hong Kong to Da Nang may soon be possible
• Hydrogen cars failed to deliver. Investors hope planes are different.
• What if flying reduced your carbon footprint?
• E-fuels offer clean future for shipping and aviation, green groups tell EU
When all sectors need to reduce their emissions to zero, the aviation industry buys/offsets the reductions of others in order to grow its own emissions.
• Top airlines’ promises to offset flights rely on ‘phantom credits’
Stopping emissions through…
Climate emergency response
• ‘War’ footing needed to correct economists’ miscalculations on climate change, says professor
• The pandemic killed business travel. For the sake of the climate, it should stay dead
• Environment lawyer fined £5k for contempt in Heathrow case
• Campaigners say UK airport expansion plans must be suspended amid new climate goals
• French parliament votes to ban airport expansions and short flights
• First concrete step: Amsterdam is banning fossil advertising from the metro