Ongoing emissions from…
… demand growth
• Revenge travel wreaks havoc on more than just airports
• Austrian Airlines misleads consumers about CO₂-neutral flying, Austrian advertising watchdog rules
• It’s time to ban private jets – or at least tax them to the ground
• Here’s How Bad Taylor Swift’s And Other Celebs’ Private Jet Emissions Really Are For The Environment
… new airports
• Cabinet approves Eastern Airport City
• MTCC begins reclaiming land for Alifushi Airport
… greenwashed fuels and engines
‘SUSTAINABLE’ AVIATION FUELS
The aviation industry uses marketing greenwash and accounting tricks to mislead you into thinking that actual flight emissions from ‘Sustainable’ Aviation Fuel (SAF) are a fraction of those from fossil jet fuel. A jet never burns pure SAF, so a common 50:50 blend with fossil jet fuel doubles claimed emissions. And actual flight CO2 emissions are additionally more than claimed, by the amount of CO2 drawn down in making the fuel. Furthermore SAF still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as actual flight CO2 emissions.
• UK’s Jet Zero Strategy ‘fails to deliver,’ says T&E
• The new climate law will help clean up air travel
• Emissions from airline flights are on the rise. Could sustainable aviation fuels be the answer?
• Why The Inflation Reduction Act’s SAF Tax Credit Won’t Be Enough To Stop Airline Emissions’ Rise
• The green tour: Travelling sustainably
• Ways to make aviation fuel green
• This is what’s keeping electric planes from taking off
Burning hydrogen fuel still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as avoided flight CO2 emissions, and generating enough CO2 emissions-free hydrogen will use more than all the renewable electricity currently generated.
• Hydrogen: A Targeted Decarbonization Tool but Not a Panacea
… inadequate & delayed emissions reductions
• The days of cheap and easy air travel may be over, but Australian policymakers seem oblivious
NET ZERO 2050 & SCIENCE BASED TARGET INITIATIVE (SBTI)
Analysis reveals “Net zero 2050” emissions strategies will lock in many decades of unnecessary fossil fuels use well past 2050, with an unsustainable, business-as-usual economic pathway, dangerous “offset” trade-offs, and unacceptable risks of unstoppable climate warming.
• Air Canada Commits To Environmental Transparency By Publishing TCFD Report
• What would the airline industry do if they were serious about achieving carbon free flying in 2050?
• Air NZ aims to cut carbon emissions by 16% by 2030, from 2019 levels
• TUI Submits Environmental Targets For Science-Based Validation
When all sectors need to reduce their emissions to zero, the aviation industry buys/offsets the reductions of others in order to grow its own emissions.
• Guide to airline carbon offset programmes
… more leg room
• CO2 study: planes may be less efficient
Stopping emissions by …
… alternative travel
• More than ever, it’s time to upgrade the Sydney–Melbourne railway
… behaviour change
• A review of air travel behavior and climate change
• Climate endgame: risk of human extinction ‘dangerously underexplored’
• Potential to end humanity is ‘dangerously underexplored’ say experts