… from greenwashing
• Are Europe’s Largest Airlines Guilty Of Greenwashing?
• Dutch Airline KLM Sued Over Misleading Sustainability Claims
• Greenwashing lawsuit against KLM airline has been filed in court
• Big Airlines’ Are Betting on False Solutions to Cut Emissions, Greenpeace Says
‘SUSTAINABLE’ AVIATION FUELS
The aviation industry uses marketing greenwash and accounting tricks to mislead you into thinking that actual flight emissions from ‘Sustainable’ Aviation Fuel (SAF) are a fraction of those from fossil jet fuel. A jet never burns pure SAF, so a common 50:50 blend with fossil jet fuel doubles claimed emissions. And actual flight CO2 emissions are additionally more than claimed, by the amount of CO2 drawn down in making the fuel. Furthermore SAF still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as actual flight CO2 emissions.
• Etihad Celebrates Its First Japanese SAF Delivery
• Major air-cargo player signs sustainability agreement
• Qantas, Airbus make sustainable fuel pledge
• Can biofuels really fly?
• Fit for 55: Transport MEPs set ambitious targets for greener aviation fuels
Burning hydrogen fuel still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as avoided flight CO2 emissions, and generating enough CO2 emissions-free hydrogen will use more than all the renewable electricity currently generated.
• Zero-emission aircraft: The future of aviation
When all sectors need to reduce their emissions to zero, the aviation industry buys/offsets the reductions of others in order to grow its own emissions.
• Offsets Watchdog Aiming for Clarity on Net Zero Risks Creating Confusion
• Business flights are in trouble in the world of net zero
• Flying towards climate failure
• Atlas Air Worldwide Releases 2021 Environmental, Social and Governance Report
… from demand growth
• Can the growth in aviation be reconciled with a 2°C target for climate change?
• Airline Fleets Are Back in Growth Mode with a Focus on Sustainability
• Salmon firm’s plan to fly fish in its own Boeing 757 alarms campaigners
• ‘Very, very modest’: Johnson vs Trudeau on whose private jet is smaller
• Aviation throttles up after Covid lockdowns — but at what cost to the climate?
• Bristol Airport expansion case highlights loopholes in national climate policy, say campaigners
… from market solutions
EU EMISSIONS TRADING SCHEME
• Airlines blast EU plan to expand emissions rule for flights
• Aviation industry received 4.4m free ETS pollution allowances in 2021, says report
• UK gave airlines 4.4m free pollution permits in 2021, study finds
• FAA says future planes will need to reduce carbon emissions
• FAA Proposes New Fuel Efficiency Standards for Large Aircraft Flying in the United States
• 100 Airports Under Water If Science-Based Emissions Targets Not Met
… by demand reduction
• Should the UK restrict flying?
• Vision 2050: aligning aviation with the Paris Agreement
… by a just transition
• Transforming batshit jobs: Just transition in aviation
The Climate Emergency
• The Economics of Immense Risk, Urgent Action and Radical Change: Towards New Approaches to the Economics of Climate Change
• Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction