Ongoing emissions from
… greenwashed fuels and engines
SUSTAINABLE AVIATION FUELS
The aviation industry uses marketing greenwash and accounting tricks to mislead you into thinking that actual flight emissions from ‘Sustainable’ Aviation Fuel (SAF) are a fraction of those from fossil jet fuel. A jet never burns pure SAF, so a common 50:50 blend with fossil jet fuel doubles claimed emissions. And actual flight CO2 emissions are additionally more than claimed, by the amount of CO2 drawn down in making the SAF. Furthermore SAF still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as actual flight CO2 emissions.
• Los Angeles Receives 500,000 Gallons of SAF From Neste
• ReFuelEU Aviation: T&E’s trilogue recommendations
• Climate targets expedite the take-off of sustainable aviation fuels
• The new order of business travel
• Accelerating a climate positive airport now
• Study shows full decarbonization of US aviation sector is within grasp
• Etihad Airways and World Energy demonstrate the future of aviation with successful net-zero emissions flight based on book & claim
• Etihad Airways & World Energy join hands to decarbonise aviation
• Tankering in aviation
• EU climate plan sacrifices carbon storage and biodiversity for bioenergy
• World’s first cooking-oil-powered military transporter aircraft just flew successfully
• Revealed: Airlines want £2bn handout to cover cost of ‘green’ fuel
• Honeywell Thinks It Can Cut Aviation’s Carbon Footprint by 80% With New Ethanol Fuel Tech
• Honeywell announces new ethanol-to-jet fuel technology
Fuels created using Direct Air Capture of CO2, even when created by renewable electricity (that should be prioritised for other sectors), don’t reduce atmospheric greenhouse gases from their current dangerous level.
• Qatar World Cup: Fifa’s carbon neutrality claim ‘misleading and incredibly dangerous’
• Air Company: This firm is channeling air to make aviation fuel
• WPI Researchers Create Method for Making Net-Zero Aviation Fuel
• The pathways for sustainable aviation e-fuels and incentive schemes
• Air Canada Invests In New Technology To Fight Climate Change
Hydrogen powered flight is years away, even when created by renewable electricity (that should be prioritised for other sectors), since it requires a re-engineered global jet fleet. It will still create twice the warming as any CO2 avoided, from NOx and contrails.
• World’s first test run of a hydrogen jet engine a success
• Rolls-Royce tests a jet engine running on hydrogen
• COP27 needs to put aviation on a path to true-zero emissions
• Europe’s plan to make Zero-Emission Aviation take off
• Polluting the sky
Battery power deployment is limited to short haul flights and will still create twice the warming as any CO2 avoided, from NOx and contrails.
• Eviation Sells More Alice Electric Aircraft For Underserved Routes
… delusional reduction pathways
“CLIMATE NEUTRAL” AVIATION
• Towards True Climate Neutrality for Global Aviation: A Negative Emissions Fund for Airlines
• Aviation calls on UK government to subsidise ‘Jet Zero’ push
When all sectors need to reduce their emissions to zero, the aviation industry buys/offsets the reductions of others in order to grow its own emissions.
• Australia Post, Woodside Energy to offset carbon footprint through sustainable aviation fuel investment
• I Shouldn’t Have to Pay to Fly With a Clean Conscience
• You could opt to pay extra on your next flight to help the planet. But is it a waste of money?
• “Full of red flags” – Real Zero Europe campaigners slam EU carbon removal proposal
NET ZERO 2050
The Net Zero 2050 flightpath allows ongoing emissions out to 2050 and beyond, and has a less than 50:50 chance of preventing warming of 2ºC.
• Global freight industry grapples with carbon emissions
• Delta thinks airline carbon emissions could peak by 2025
… infrastructure growth
NEW AIRPORT RUNWAYS
• Brimbank council ‘disappointed’ by airport master plan approval
• Zambia Airports Corporation urged to compensate displaced farmers
… demand growth
• Can the growth in aviation be reconciled with a 2°C target for climate change?
• Enormous emissions gap between top 1% and poorest, study highlights
• The Man Who Loves a High: A Rs 646 crore private plane is the latest addition to Elon Musk’s fleet of jets
• How many private jets were at COP27?
• Delta and other firms are struggling to meet sky-high climate pledges
• UN experts demand crackdown on greenwashing of net zero pledges
Stopping emissions by
… demand reduction
• Activists out in force across Europe
• Climate activists swarm private jets at Amsterdam airport to protest pollution
• Climate activists target private jet airports and demand ban at Cop27
• Activists ground private jets at Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport
• Hundreds of climate activists stormed Amsterdam Schiphol Airport and blocked private jets on the runway
• Climate Activists, Including Scientists, Are Arrested in Protests at Private Airports
• Billionaires Tears: Will Climate Protestors Cancel The $28 Billion Private Jet Business?
• Climate activists target 13 London offices over fossil fuels ties
• Brace for impact. International aviation Net Zero 2050 flightpath crashes in Melbourne.
• Climate Protesters Are Throwing Soup at Art. A Brooklyn Psychologist Is Behind It
• Climate activists glue themselves to runway at Berlin airport
• Activists Or Terrorists: Protestors Shut Down Airport
• Bristol Airport court case is first test for Rishi Sunak’s green credentials
• Environmental groups suing the Albanian authorities for the illegal construction of the Vlora airport
• These Americans Quit Flying for the Planet
• Airbus and Climate Change
• More aggressive short-term climate goals needed in aviation sector, say NDP, climate activists
Fiscal measures including taxes will not cut aviation emissions anywhere near fast enough.
• Taxation is a blunt instrument, IATA chief Willie Walsh says: ‘The carrot is far more effective than the stick’
• Taxing kerosene on flights could raise £6.7 billion a year for the Treasury
• Virgin Atlantic withdraws support for Heathrow third runway
BANNING AIR MILES
• Should we get rid of air miles for climate change?
• Customers Consider Canceling Private Jet Orders As Flight Shaming Escalates
… travel alternatives
• Australians turn to interstate train travel amid soaring domestic air fares heading into holiday peak