Ongoing emissions from
… demand growth
• Air Canada profits soar amid booming demand for international travel — and ticket prices took off, too
• Wish you weren’t here! How tourists are ruining the world’s greatest destinations
• Destination FOMO: Understanding the Urge to Fly to Faraway Places
• Rail bosses spend £10,000 a week on flights – because it’s cheaper than trains
… greenwashed fuels and engines
‘SUSTAINABLE’ AVIATION FUELS
The aviation industry uses marketing greenwash and accounting tricks to mislead you into thinking that actual flight emissions from ‘Sustainable’ Aviation Fuel (SAF) are a fraction of those from fossil jet fuel. A jet never burns pure SAF, so a common 50:50 blend with fossil jet fuel doubles claimed emissions. And actual flight CO2 emissions are additionally more than claimed, by the amount of CO2 drawn down in making the fuel. Furthermore SAF still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as actual flight CO2 emissions.
• Lenovo offers carbon credits for air shipping
• Farm waste could fuel most domestic flights by 2025
• US Airlines Unite With Farmers In Effort To Subsidize Sustainable Aviation Fuel Made From Corn
• NATSO, SIGMA urge IRS to adopt stringent ;lifecycle greenhouse gas modelling requirements for Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF)
• NASA Releases Newest Vision for Flight Research
• NASA and Boeing target 30% fuel reduction with ultrathin wing demonstrator
• Long-haul flight decarbonisation: When can cutting-edge energies & technologies make a difference?
… delusional reduction pathways
• Transport and Infrastructure Net Zero Roadmap and Action Plan
• Sustainable Aviation Challenge Looks for ‘Ecopreneurs’ to Decarbonize Industry
• Declaration: International Aviation Climate Ambition Coalition
… infrastructure expansion
• Is there a case for airport expansion?
• How The U.S. And EU Are Tackling Airline Emissions Differently
… frequent flyers
• Brazil’s Embraer says business jet demand stays at strong pandemic level
Private jets are awful for the climate. It’s time to tax the rich who fly in them
FREQUENT FLYER SCHEMES
• Should frequent flyer schemes still exist when the climate is in crisis?
… accounting tricks
When all sectors need to reduce their emissions to zero, the aviation industry buys/offsets the reductions of others in order to grow its own emissions.
• Carbon credit speculators could lose billions as offsets deemed ‘worthless’
• Action needed to make carbon offsets from forest conservation work for climate change mitigation
EUROPOEAN UNION EMISSIONS TRADING SCHEME
• What are the prospects for a more sustainable aviation industry?
Stopping emissions by
… zero emissions flight
• Taking Flight Towards Sustainability : Exploring the Zero-Emission Aircraft Market
• Zero-Emission Aircraft Global Market Report 2023
• Sleek, Silent Aircraft Are Electrifying Aviation; It Will Never Be The Same
• Air Travel Is Destroying the Planet. An Israeli-developed Electric Plane Is One Solution
• The Role of Electric Aircrafts in Decarbonizing the Aviation Industry
• Environmentalists and airlines square off over standards for sustainable fuel
… demand degrowth
• Business travel recovery stalls as companies seek to cut costs and emissions
• Delta Air Lines faces proposed U.S. class action over carbon neutral claims
• Badvertising: Ministry for The Climate Emergency
• Sebastian Vettel flying and drove himself to European races in final F1 season
• Aviation workers oppose UK Government’s fossil fuel plans
• France to increase tax on plane tickets to fund railways
• Top Brazilian airlines say passengers not willing to pay to offset emissions
• Bumpy flying: Air New Zealand faces up to the real cost of going green
• France calls for an end to cheap flights in Europe
… alternative travel modes
• An aviation researcher’s ode to the train
• How air travellers can cut their door-to-door emissions right now – by as much as 13% on the Sydney-Melbourne route
… measuring them
• Pegasus Airlines Launches Climate Tool To Help Passengers Estimate Their Carbon Impact
• How can businesses account for the full climate impact of their corporate air travel?
• Blue skies, green air travel: ESG in the aviation industry
• Carbon reduction must increase by eight times to curb climate change
• I’ve spent 40 years in Antarctic research. Right now it’s facing a climate emergency so we must not put vital science on ice
• Cap and Adapt: Failsafe Policy for the Climate Emergency
• TUI: Heatwaves likely to affect where and when we holiday
• Are we failing to see the wood for the trees on climate risks?
• Fatal mistake: Intergenerational report misleads on climate risks
• Are Australia’s climate–security risks too hot to handle?