Emissions to net zero greenwash
When all sectors need to reduce their emissions to zero, the aviation industry buys/offsets the reductions of others in order to grow its own emissions.
• S&P Global Platts to publish first voluntary carbon credit price assessments
• ICAO completes final building blocks for implementing CORSIA carbon scheme ahead of pilot phase start
UN-SUSTAINABLE AVIATION FUEL
The aviation industry uses marketing greenwash and accounting tricks to mislead you into thinking that actual flight emissions from ‘Sustainable’ Aviation Fuel (SAF) are a fraction of those from fossil jet fuel. A jet never burns pure SAF, so a common 50:50 blend with fossil jet fuel doubles claimed emissions. And actual flight CO2 emissions are additionally more than claimed, by the amount of CO2 drawn down in making the fuel. Furthermore SAF still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as actual flight CO2 emissions.
• The benefits of Sustainable Aviation Fuel go beyond CO₂
• Shell to Supply DHL Express with Sustainable Aviation Fuel at Schiphol Airport
• New US legislation sets policy menu for Sustainable Aviation Fuels
• Green jet fuel plant developers’ joy as World Economic Forum backs method as best aviation solution
• Neste invests in AFS fuel storage company to enable supply of Sustainable Aviation Fuel at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
• Sky high demand for Sustainable Aviation Fuel drives new price benchmark
• Commercial aviation’s first SAF-fuelled cargo flight operated by DB Schenker and Lufthansa Cargo
• Sustainable fuels to power RAF jets
• Can Shell help pilot a new era of sustainable aviation?
• German aviation industry offers comprehensive plan for CO2 neutrality
• Uber, JetBlue join Climate Pledge
• JAL to use biofuels made from household waste starting fiscal 2022
• Jet-zero: How aviation aims to clean up its emissions act
• Neste supplies DHL Express with SAF at San Francisco airport
DIRECT AIR CAPTURE
Claims that Direct Air Capture (DAC) is ‘100% green’ are misleading. DAC will not eliminate a flights actual CO2 emissions, and will add additional CO2 if DAC uses fossil fuel electricity.
• Could carbon dioxide be turned into jet fuel?
• United pledges to be 100% green by 2050
• United Airlines bets on direct air capture to reduce CO2 impact
• United Airlines sets target to eliminate GHG emissions by 2050 – without relying on offsets
• Researchers unveil new method for converting carbon dioxide into jet fuel
Emissions to absolute zero
Burning hydrogen fuel still creates non-CO2 emissions twice as warming as avoided flight CO2 emissions, and generating enough CO2 emissions-free hydrogen will use more than all the renewable electricity currently generated.
• Airbus bets on hydrogen to deliver zero-emission jets
• Amazon, Shell, Bill Gates back hydrogen-electric startup seeking to power aircraft
• ZEROe Towards the world’s first zero-emission commercial aircraft
• Flying to LA might cost more — so be it, says climate chief
• Emissions fall as COVID-19 pandemic grounds flights, halts transport
• Airline shares ended 2020 down, but the sky did not fall and American bankruptcy chatter turned out to be nonsense
• Leeds Bradford Airport’s planning application isn’t what it seems…
• Global warming: GM, Ford, major airlines fail to meet Paris climate target
Global rich must cut their carbon footprint 97% to stave off climate change, UN says
• Trump Administration finalizes do-nothing ‘Standards’ for airplane climate emissions
• UN secretary general urges all countries to declare climate emergencies